Giles Hospital, Camberwell, London.
English dial wall clock with chain fusee movement in an oak case.
The dark oak case
with curved base and cock-bead edged locking door for access to the
pendulum for regulation. One piece convex oak bezel and glazed spun
brass bezel with silvered sight ring covering the dial. To the right
hand side of the case is a hinged door for access the top of the
pendulum. The back box is secured with four pegs and its back board
is signed ‘St Giles Hosptl Cwell’.
with original painted surface, black Roman numerals and a fine minute
track with triangular five minute marks. Blued steel spade and
The eight day
timepiece movement has recoil anchor escapement, chain fusee and
plain pillars secured to the backplate with screws.
The plates are
stamped with the production number 8923 and the backplate and
pendulum with the batch number 16. Interestingly the backplate was
struck with the number 15 which has been crossed out.
This clock is
fully restored. Feel free to ask any questions 07774 750722.
– 14¾“ (37cm) Depth – 6” (15cm)
Hospital, Camberwell, London. 1927 – 1993.
Workhouse Infirmary was opened in 1873 on a site adjoining the Havil
Street Workhouses. Extensive new hospital buildings were erected
between 1899 and 1903 on part of the site adjoining Brunswick Square
(now St Giles’ Road) and Brunswick Road. The infirmary was renamed
Saint Giles’ Hospital in 1927. Saint Giles’ Hospital became part of
the National Health Service in 1948.
Hospital became part of Optimum Health Services in 1993, an NHS Trust
responsible for community health services in Camberwell. Most of the
hospital buildings were no longer required and have been demolished.
Saint Giles’ Tower, a circular ward block opened in 1889, has now
been converted into flats.